Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Bread Baker's Apprentice

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhart


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
An enjoyable read. I have not had a chance to try the recipes - that will have to come later. But I am very interested in playing around with retarding the dough and seeing the effects it makes in the flavor and texture. I have not read a whole lot on artisan bread, and this was helpful in learning the science as well as some the techniques. I now understand what the "windowpane" test is. It does have only 2 recipes for whole grain breads (whole wheat, and whole sourdough rye), which was a disappointment, but know I have a lot of new ideas of how to play around with the bread recipes I see.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment